The first ever AWS Build On, Malaysia 2019 hackathon event invited students from all across Malaysia from Vocational, Polytechnics & Universities to learn, innovate & invent solutions using Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies for various problem statements by AWS organizers & partners. This event was jointly organized by APU, AWS, MDEC, Smart Selangor, Smart Selangor Delivery Unit, ASTRO & Hilti. After commencing on 1st July, 2019, the Build On event went through range of activities including participating teams registration, draft project proposal submission, preparation boot camp on AWS technology track & final proposal submission followed by Grand Finale with shortlisted finalists. APU being one of the organizing committee members hosted both preparation boot camp and Grand Finale in its campus to increase cloud computing awareness among the youths of Malaysian society. Participating teams of the Build On event were provided with seven challenge statements by event organizing panel as listed below to finalize their proposals.
- Real Time Demand Monitoring
- Autonomous Produce Sorter
- Personal Fitness Assistant
- Digitalization of Smart Customer Interaction
- Smart Education
- Smart Government
- Smart Social
The online review by the panel of judges to pick the top finalists teams was based on:
- The feasibility of team’s idea
- How innovative is the teams solution
- Is it possible technically?
- What’s the business potential of the teams’ solution?
- Clarity of presentation
Grand Finale of the AWS Build On event (10 – 12 September, 2019) comprised of number of fun-filled activities including AWS game day event to practice AWS Cloud technologies under real world working environments, with the project showcases of finalists and companies offering internship/employment opportunities.
Participating student teams of Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation won most number of awards by any university during grand finale of AWS Build On event as per below mentioned details.
- Most Innovative Solution Winner Award (Won by APUIANS Team)
- Viewers’ Choice Winner Award (Won by Tech Prodigies Team)
- AWS Game Day Winner Award (Won by Tech Prodigies Team)
- 1st Runner Up Award – Hackathon (Won by Tech Prodigies Team)
- 3rd Runner Up Award – Hackathon (Won by APUIANS Team)
In addition to above awards, winning teams also bagged below prizes from Amazon Web Services as recognition of their achievements.
1st Runner Up Award – Hackathon
- 2 x Echo Spot, 5 x Echo Dot, 5 x Kindle Fire Tablet
3rd Runner Up Award – Hackathon
- 5 x Echo Dot, 5 x Kindle Fire Tablet
Viewers’ Choice Award
- 2 x Wall Clock, 3 x Echo Dots
Most Innovative Solution Award
- 1 x Echo Spot, 2 x Philips Hue Lights, 2 x Echo Dots
AWS Build On event invited students from all across Malaysia and a total of 36 teams were shortlisted by judging panel of the event to take part in Grand Finale. Notable participant representations for the grand finale came from below institutions.
- Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation
- University Teknology MARA
- Multimedia University
- Taylor’s University
- Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman
- Politeknik Mersing Johor